Bhubaneswar: As many as 85 tribal students of Tikhiri Abashika Sevashram, a tribal welfare residential school in Mahakalapada block were hospitalised on Saturday night due to food poisoning.
School headmaster Chitaranjan Samal said, about 54 students were shifted to district headquarters hospital on having condition critical and the rest of the students were admitted in primary health centre at Tikhiri, when these students complained of diarrhoea, vomiting and fever after having dinner on Saturday.
Doctors said while some students were suffering from food poisoning and vomiting, many were suffering from viral fever.
The residential school was managed by ST and SC Development Department and was having a total of 196 students, said sources.
Energy Minister Atanu Sabyasachi, District Social Welfare Officer Charulata Mallick visited the hospital along with Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) B Sahoo to meet the 54 students on Sunday and said that the condition of all the students was stable.
It is alleged that the students were served low quality food and there was scarcity of drinking water on the school premises. In addition to this there were two tubewells which were not operating since two years.
Meanwhile the locals demanded to dismiss the headmaster,said sources. The Collector, PK Patnaik said an inquiry has been ordered into the incident.