Bhubaneswar: The Centre has sought a status report from the State Government on the Posco project which has been stalled because of the violent clash that occurred on 14th December that claimed one life.

Official sources said that the Government had received a letter from the Deputy Secretary, Ministry of Steel on Thursday, seeking a status report of the Posco project. The report was submitted on Friday.

The State Government in its report had claimed that 2,000 acres of land had so far been acquired, sources said adding that of the total 3719 acre of land required for setting up the 12mtpa greenfield steel plant, only 10 per cent of land belonged to private persons. 

The remaining land belonged to the state government under illegal possession of some villagers, it said.
Adding more the State Government also said that about 720 families were likely to be displaced for the project, but a handsome rehabilitation package had been made for them.

However, the State Government informed that the company was yet to get the raw material linkage due to a court case over the prospecting license (PL) for Khandadhar iron ore reserve in Sundergarh district.