Trinamool Chief Mamata Banerjee
Trinamool Chief Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Friday asked the central government to allow states to collect all taxes and urged it not to burden the common man by increasing taxes and prices.

“The centre takes away about 70 percent of the tax proceeds collected from the states and leaves behind a meagre 30 percent for utilisation by the states. Centre must allow the state to collect all taxes which will enable the state to provide full relief and subsidy,” Banerjee wrote on Facebook.

In the wake of the hike of Rs.5 in diesel prices, Banerjee urged the central government to utilise the large amount of black money lying within and outside the country and not burden the common man.

“Instead of burdening the common people, by increasing taxes and prices of diesel and petrol the centre should now start thinking of utilising large amount of black money lying in the country and abroad. A large amount of ‘benami’ assets and funds need to be unearthed. All these can be used for development of the country,” she wrote.

Banerjee said her state receives only 2.3 percent of the total taxes collected by the central government and said her government could provide full relief to the common people and farmers affected by the increase in prices of cooking gas and diesel if West Bengal was allowed to collect and retain all the taxes.

“To make the federal democracy flourish, the voice of the state must be heard, the tax resources raised must be left to the state, so that developmental work receives a boost,” she added.

Source: IANS