Bhubaneswar: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has asked Odisha to submit a report immediately on the brutal torture of two labourers, who had their hands cut off by a labour contractor and his accomplices, in the state, an official here said Thursday.
The commission has asked the state chief secretary and the director general of police to immediately report on the steps taken to identify the culprits, and on the immediate medical attention provided to the victims.
The NHRC has also asked the state authorities to report on the measures the government will take to rehabilitate the victims and the compensation for their injuries, a senior state official told IANS.
Citing a media report, the commission said: “If this report is true, it appears that a most brutal and savage crime was committed. It is essential therefore that the authorities spare no effort to bring the culprits to book.”
The commission which expects to receive the reports form the state authorities by Jan 2, 2014 will take up the matter for hearing Jan 9, hesaid.
Two migrant workers have had their right hands cut off by a labour contractor and his henchmen on the roadside in state’s Bolangir district Sunday night because they refused to be taken to Raipur instead of Hyderabad.
Police have so far arrested five people, including the contractor, and detained some others for questioning.
The Odisha government has announced that it will bear the cost of treatment for both the victims. Besides it has also announced a compensation of Rs.5 lakh rupees to each of them.
Odisha’s western districts of Kalahandi, Koraput and Bolangir are considered to be some of the economically most backward areas in the country. Every year, thousands of residents migrate elsewhere in search of jobs.