FasTags, affixed on the windscreen of the vehicles, are prepaid rechargeable tags by which the toll payment is deducted automatically. FasTag makes life easier on the highways, helping in the sense that you don’t have to stop your vehicle at toll gates to pay the toll, whereas previously you had to get down from your vehicle to do it manually. With a FasTag installed, at the instance the vehicle crosses the toll gate, the toll will get deducted from the bank account or prepaid wallet that has been previously linked to the FasTag. FasTag uses Radio Frequency Identification Technology (RFID) for this cashless payment of tax. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, National Highways Authority of India and National Payment Corporation of India promote FasTag and all of them will play a major role in its success.
After every FasTag transaction, the details of the transaction will appear on your mobile. If you are manually paying the tax, you can approach the toll plaza through any lane on the highway, but if you have a FasTag, you have to go on the lane marked for it. You have to pay a penalty for entering a FasTag lane without a FasTag.
FasTag can be recharged through cheque or online by Credit Card/Debit Card/NEFT/RTGS or through NEFT Banking. Twenty-two banks issue FasTags through selective branches and channels located at the National Highway toll plazas. FasTag can be purchased online or it can be delivered at home. To start with, first, you have to register with FasTag which involves the following steps:
- Banks like SBI, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, are authorized to sell FasTags. Visit their official website.
- There are the links ‘Get FasTag’ / ‘Apply for FasTag’ on the homepage of the website. Click on them.
- After you enter your mobile number, an OTP will be sent on the mobile number entered by you. Enter the OTP and click on submit.
- Enter your personal details (name, email id, address, etc, vehicle details (the type of vehicle, registration number, etc. Upload documents (like a scanned copy of vehicle RC.etc.)
- Before final submission, review all the details filled in the application form.
- You will be redirected to the online payment gateway for fee submission after you submit the application form.
- For future reference take the print out and save the copy of the FasTag receipt and payment receipt.
The documents required are:
- Registration certificate of the vehicle
- Driving License
- KYC documents
- Passport size photograph.
For FasTag, a one-time joining fee of Rs 200 is chargeable. The minimum recharge amount is Rs 100 and the maximum rechargeable limit is Rs 100000. If you relocate, sell your car, or your FasTag gets damaged, you need to contact the issuer agency, whose details you will get at the time of your getting the FasTag. FastTags have a validity of five years and they save time and fuel. For any other queries regarding your FasTag, you can refer to the Standard Operating Procedure (SoP) or contact the customer care of the issuer agency. FasTags are simple and reloadable and it is now up to the general users to reap its benefits.