The outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by the coronavirus, introduced to humans for the first time and was first reported from Wuhan, China, on 31 December 2019. It is affecting 109 countries and territories around the world and has become a global issue now.
It transmits person-to-person mainly through the respiratory droplets produced when an infected person speaks, coughs or sneezes. These droplets cannot travel far and quickly land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or settle down on the surface within a radius of 1 meter approximately. This is the reason why it is spreading with close contacts.
Precautions to be taken during the virus outbreak:
- Hands touch many surfaces which can be contaminated with virus. To prevent spreading the virus wash your hands properly with hand wash, soap or hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth with unwashed hands.
- Do not shake hands.
- Do not seek close to others who are sick.
- While coughing or sneezing use a handkerchief or disposable tissue to cover your mouth and nose.
- Avoid public places and public transport.
- Do not travel outside to places by train or flight.
- Use masks in large gatherings.
Everyone has a role to play. Protect yourself and your community by adopting these healthy habits. Spread awareness to your near and dear. Do not delay consulting a physician if any symptoms like cold, cough or fever seems to occur. Let’s stop spreading coronavirus.