Chandabali is 50 km away from the district headquarters of Bhadrak. It is located on the bank of the holy river Baitarani.
In pre-British period, Chandbali was a small village inhabited by fishermen on the bank of the river Baitarani. It was also used as a natural river port by the local peoples.
In 1866, communication to Bengal through Water way was established from Chandbali. On March 28, 1881 the natural port of Chandbali was declared as a Government port by the British Government. After that the flow of outsiders mainly from the business community started towards Chandbali. This led to the growth of Chandbali as a Agro-based merchants centre.
Some of the remains of the British period like Cannon and Anchor are still found at Chandbali.
Presently, Chandbali is the headquarter of Chandbali tahasil as well as Chandbali block. It is also a popular tourist spot and the gateway to the famous tourist spot-cum- wild life Sanctuary “Bhitarkanika” in the water way, being accessed by boats through the river Baitarani.