The ‘Jhadeswar’ temple is located at a distance of about 1 km from the Jharsuguda railway station beyond the old town ‘Purunabasti’ inside a small forest.
There is a self appearing (Swayambhu) Sivalingam here the actual age of which is unknown. But during the reign of ‘Govind Singh’ Jamindar of Jharsuguda the lingam was being worshiped inside a hut made up of leaves. In 1916 a Gujarati contractor named ‘Mulju Jagmal’ erected a small temple here. The Jamindar of Jharsuguda arranged Savayats for daily worship and donated agricultural lands for maintenance of the temple and puja.
Since 1916, a fair takes place here on every Sivaratri day. The Jhadeswar temple area has important significance in the history of Jharsuguda. On the eastern side of the temple the original ‘Jharguda’ settlement has grown. On its northern side there was a settlement of ‘Gond subject’ of the Jamindar of Jharsuguda. Jhadeswar temple is recognised as original Siva shrine.
‘Adyaswambhu pitha’ of Jharsuguda. A Small beautiful garden has been grown near the Jhadeswar temple which is used as a picnic spot because of its scenic beauty.